Saturday, March 30, 2013

March's Volunteer of the Month


Yujin

Yujin is one of our volunteers from the Paws and Claws program at UC Berkeley. College students have always been a great source of volunteers for the shelter. No dogs or cats in the dorms, so students can head over the shelter to get their pet fix. Paws and Claws has taken it a step further by setting up an organized program for UC Berkeley students. Thanks for helping lead the way, Yujin.

 
What do you do when you're not at the shelter?

Well first and foremost, I'm a student. I'm currently a second year at Cal studying economics and that takes up quite a bit of my time! Other than that, I work for the academic personnel department of UC Berkeley and and involved in a couple of clubs. I'm currently the president of Paws and Claws so managing that can be a handful, but super fun and so rewarding when I see other members get to connect with animals. I also am a member of Cal Habitat for Humanity and try to participate in their events as well.
 
If I ever find some free time I also like to run and hang out with my friends!

 
Why did you initially decide to volunteer at BACS?

Well, initially, I didn't even know that Berkeley had an aminal shelter, much less a volunteer program. It was my first year here, so I just knew that I really missed my dog at home and it was hard being away from her! One day one of my friends told me about Paws and Claws and how they volunteer with animals! I was so excited and I signed right on up for the orientations and got started then and there! I'm so glad I did, it's been an amazing experience so far! I love it.
What are your favorite things about volunteering?

Well being able to get to know these dogs and to walk them has been just so awesome but my favorite, favorite memory was only about a couple weeks ago. I went to the shelter and saw a dog who was just available for adoption that day and already getting adopted. I believe the dog's name was Mugsy and as the new owner was signing papers, I took the liberty of playing with Mugsy in his kennel. Mugsy was such a sweet dog and super affectionate. Definitely a keeper.
A few days ago, while I was on the bus to go to the shelter, I saw Mugsy on a walk with his new owner! It seems silly now but it just made me feel so good inside and it was so nice to see him happy with his new owner. :)

Who are your favorite dogs and cats, past and present?

There just so many wonderful dogs at the shelter and I absolutely love every one of them. But some really memorable dogs were Kauz, Cosmo, Adobe, Phillip, Danny, those two adorable puppies Miso and Tofu, and of course Chloe! But all in all, my favorite dog is the one I left back in Michigan - Coco. I love cats as well but having a cat allergy really limits the amount of time I can spend with them.
 
 

No comments: