Monday, December 14, 2009

Black Dog Syndrome







When I first heard that black dogs are difficult to adopt out because of their color, I was astounded. I had always found black-colored animals beautiful and never in my dreams would have thought it detrimental to shelter adoption but apparently it's true: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23472518/

So if you're a black-colored "pit" bull in a shelter, well, you really have life stacked against you. But don't tell that to Misty. She's one of my shelter favorites - with her floppy ears, joyful personality and loving eyes, Misty's cheerful energy is anything but dark.

Sure she looks like a tasmanian blur when she's in the kennel, bouncing off the walls with puppy-impatience. Once you get her out of that environment, though, she is a sweetheart. She walks easily on leash, sits beautifully and absolutely loves to play. I got these shots of her in a few precious moments of freedom where she ran zoomies around the play area and then spent much-needed decompression time cuddling with me, letting me rub her belly and leading me on a gentle chase round the pen.

After spending time with this love-bug I feel anything but gloomy. I wouldn't care if she was purple and green, let alone gorgeous shining black.

8 comments:

Joel said...

By the looks of things, that knot toy might now have a fear of black dogs! Misty is working it over! She and Andre are a couple of loverdogs though. Ranger was as big and black as a dog comes, but I believe he's found a home. So hopefully things will work out soon for the other tall dark & handsomes at the shelter.

Anonymous said...

Misty is a beautiful soul. She looks like my beloved Pookie that just past. I would LOVE to get another pit. They are the best dogs in the world. I especially LOVE black colored dogs in general. For some reason, after pookie, I am just drawn to them. I have now a 4 year old mixed white dog, but I would love to get him a partner.

Janet said...

Anonymous, if you are in the area please consider Misty. She needs to get out YESTERDAY and I would take her myself if it was humanly possible. I LOVE this dog.

friend said...

how is she with cats? i have another dog and an older kitty who are both my world and protecting that kitty is priority one...

Janet said...

"friend," I'm not sure how she is with cats. If you stop by the shelter on Saturday (they are closed Christmas day) they will give you an honest reply and do an evaluation/introduction with your animals.

I truly hope you will give her a try; she is a gem.

lwayne352 said...

Janet,
I am also wondering how Misty is with cats. Did anyone check yet? Hopefully Anon came by and all went well and Misty is going home???? Keep us posted please.
Lisa

Joel said...

Although it's not always the most complete information, there is nothing in the write-ups on the pet adoptions sites that says Misty does not do well with cats. But as Janet said, the best option would be to stop by. Also, you can call the shelter at 510-981-6600. As of today Misty listed as one of the dogs at the Berkeley shelter so I'm assuming she's still there. She is a very good dog, but her stay at the kennel is starting to wear on her.

Thanks to anyone willing to give this dog consideration!

Unknown said...

Is she still available???